Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
newellj
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100II vs. the new Panasonic GM1 m43
In reply to Catalin Stavaru, 11 months ago

Catalin Stavaru wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a small but powerful camera, and until now the only real option was the Sony RX100II. But today I learned the size specs of the new Panasonic GM1, and I am a bit shocked to say the least. It is much smaller than the RX100II, *even* with the new 12-32mm (24mm wide angle) lens, and of course has interchangeable mount too:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-gm1-has-a-new-kind-of-shutter-and-size-info/

What to you say about this ? It it worth waiting for the GM1 ? From the rumors, it is also cheaper than the Sony by about $50. The Sony does have the F1.8 but the GM1 has a significantly larger sensor in a smaller size which probably compensates in terms of low-light (and you can always mount a faster lens).

Compare it WITH the lens.  The RX100 is shirt-pocketable, the GM1 isn't, not even close.  The RX100 doesn't have the biggest sensor, it doesn't have the best zoom range, it doesn't have the fastest maximum apertures, it doesn't have the best user interface, it doesn't/isn't etc. - BUT it is the best overall package that still fits into a shirt pocket.

The GM1? - meh.  And I go back a long way with Panasonic.

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow