Why is the SLT-A58 so cheap, any obvious reasons?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
DaPonti
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is the SLT-A58 so cheap, any obvious reasons?
In reply to Oleg L K, 10 months ago

Oleg L K wrote:

In the older A100+ generation the focusing error was _not_ a malfunction of a specific camera, but exaggerated tolerance in the design and/or production. You are either lucky or not at the time of purchase. If you are unlucky, there is nothing you can do. The camera may focus with 2-3 lenses you checked in store, but then you buy another lens and you eat it.

Interesting. My a58 has spot on focus with 2 out of my 3 lenses. I can follow F1 cars driving in diagonal to or from the camera and get a burst of clear shots in continuous AF, I can take macro shots with AF and not be able to do significantly better with MF and focus peaking.

However, my 50 f/1.8 has issues. I went to Sony store and tried my body with another 50 f/1.8: no problem at all. I tried it it with the 50 f/1.4 and the 85 f something (1.4?) wide open, still spot on. So I assumed the issue was my lens. Are you saying it's a body issue and it would work fine on another camera (not talking about an a77 with MF adjustment)?

DaPonti's gear list:DaPonti's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Pixelmator Chameleon
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow