Veteran MemberPosts: 7,536Gear list
Like?
Re: DPP, Lightroom and Photo Ninja, samples
In reply to MB17, 10 months ago

MB17 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

MB17 wrote:

Hi,

This thread has been very helpful. I am now deciding between Lightroom and PN, and would like to know if this discussion has somehow evolved to help me make a decision.

Thanks for any input.

I am not a Canon user, but I have a strong interest in raw convertors and digital editing. My take is that if you want an all purpose image editor, then Lightroom or Capture One are the best choices, with my preference being C1. They both produce decent output and enhance workflow. However, if you want the best IQ raw conversions, then Photo Ninja is definitely superior. You would still require a second program for local adjustments, printing, slideshows, etc. I use CS6 and find that the two programs integrate quite smoothly. PN can be used either as a Photoshop filter or plugin. So the decision depends upon your priorities--IQ vs workflow.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks. That was my impression. I am not even an amateur photographer - may try to become... - so workflow is not a necessity for me, I believe. Considering then your comment and previous feeling, I am tending to get PN and Photoshop Elements.

I played very little with LR and PN and thought that although LR interface is nicer and easier, with my very limited knowledge I could get images that I enjoyed better in PN. Thus my idea of coupling it with PSE. CS is way complicated. I have tried to use it in the past and only got bored and confused.

Only thing is that PN and PSE do not do Lens Correction from my Camera's (Sony RX100 M2) preset as LR (and DxO) do. But I guess I can't have it all...

That should be a great combination. And yes, you will need a second editor for local adjustments if you use PN. I use CS6, but its an overkill most of the time.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow