ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
A7/r rant
Oct 17, 2013

I like numerous things about A7/r, but here is the list what I don't like:

1. A prime lens like 55/1.8 for $1200 - almost the price of A7 camera - is that normal? The cheapest prime 35mm f2.8 for $800 - almost half of A7 price - also not funny. Where are affordable native primes with AF for $200-400? I'm sure Sigma could jump in later and give us something like 28mm or 45mm f2.8 or similar, but that may take a year easily, if not more. Zeiss primes are for those who can afford, what about others who want budget native primes?

2. Design - ok, that is purely subjective thing, but still it feels like Sony did it in the last minute - glued different parts from RX1, NEX-7 and Minolta together. I'm just saying the result could have been better. Who knows we may grow into it, but initial impression is that NEX-7 looks more natural to me.

3. AF of supposedly fast A7 with OSPDAF. Well, so far I've seen just 2 (Japanese or Chinese) short videos and it looks like there is almost no difference with my NEX-5N or 6 or 7. Same slowish AF, which is good for landscapes and general photography, but really lacks AF when shooting moving subjects. Are we supposed to use tricks again to shoot running kids or dogs or any sport/action? I was under impression that at least A7 was able to deliver sufficient AF speed. (Yes, I know there are many BIF lovers who can manage higher % of keepers, but we all know what I'm talking about, right?). I really hope to see detailed review where AF on A7 can successfully focus or track moving object. If that is not a reality than all we have is another high Mp tool for mostly static photography.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow