Swapping EM1 for A7

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Swordman
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: Swapping EM1 for A7
In reply to khaledgawdat, Oct 17, 2013

I pre-ordered the EM1 kit with the 12-40 f2.8 lens. It was scheduled to arrive (according to Amazon UK) in the first week of November. I decided to cancel and go for the A7r (also due to arrive in the first week of November).

It was a very tough decision to make and I held out ordering the voigtlander 25mm f0.95 because I wanted to see what the Sony looked like.

With the Sony, I'm coupling it with the Nikon 50mm 1.4D and a Samyang 14mm f2.8.

The way I see it is like this: The Olympus has better build, looks better (in my opinion) and can achieve very similar DOF (with the right lens). The ergonomics are also better and it probably has more fun features (that I'd seldom use).

The Sony has better IQ and better low light performance, however, this is negated somewhat by the fact that at f0.95, the ISO wouldn't need to be ramped up so much on the Oly.

The Olympus, for sure, would be the more usable, versatile set-up. And, let's face it, the IQ is also pretty ruddy good. Not left wanting there.

So, why did I go for the Sony? The truth is, I still semi-regret cancelling the Olympus, but I'm not going through the hassle of cancelling the Sony and reordering the Olympus as I'll start to regret that, too!

It came down to one thing. In 5 or 6 years, it's realistic to say that smart phones would rival the EM1 for quality. They already compete in resolution terms in good light, and they're likely to keep getting better. However, there's no way they can compete with the Sony...not for a long time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow