What Panasonic does that others don't...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Beach Bum
Contributing MemberPosts: 919
Like?
What Panasonic does that others don't...
11 months ago

Before I start this, I want to say that I'm not a brand loyalist. I'm a realist. If Panasonic were to stop making cameras tomorrow and I was sure that the other brands could do the same thing, I wouldn't care much. But, alas, this isn't the case.

1. Power OIS.

Panasonic image stabilization is literally the best I've ever seen. And I'm not relying on reviews to tell me this. I've tried pretty much everything else out there. It easily manhandles Olympus 5-axis IBIS at anything over 100mm (true not equivalent focal length), which are very relevant focal lengths. This isn't some hypothetical ultra long focal length that no one uses.

It's better than the best OIS I've seen from Canon, Nikon, and Sony.

2. CDAF.

Literally the fastest contrast detect autofocus I've ever seen. Olympus gets props for their CDAF. Panasonic is faster and more accurate. It can even compete with other manufacturers' PDAF for tracking autofocus, but destroys them for stationary subjects.

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com/2013/04/lumix-gh3-review-part-6-sportaction.html

3. Video

Quite simply the best and most effortless video I've ever seen, similar convenience to a camcorder but better quality. The only way to get competitive video quality on Canon is to shoot RAW video, manual focus, and post-process the heck out of it. In other words, you can't do anywhere near the same quality with any other manufacturers' camera in a run and gun setting. The only way to compete is to have set-up studio shoots.

In summary, what I'm saying is that if I didn't have Panasonic cameras, there isn't some other readily available alternative. It would be somewhat difficult to find alternatives, and I may have to use multiple cameras for things I once relied on one.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow