Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,424Gear list
Like?
Re: Fairly simple for me...
In reply to havoc315, 10 months ago

havoc315 wrote:

zackiedawg wrote:

I personally see no competition between the two lines at all - to me, they are different entities for different purposes...and I like that Sony is covering both markets. I like it enough to own one of each myself - a NEX body alongside an Alpha DSLR. I'll likely continue with this pairing - the DSLR will likely lean towards APS-C, to continue use of my Alpha lenses and with aim to maintain longer battery life, faster focus, faster bursts, bigger buffers, in-body stabilization, and the larger, beefier bodies with more controls...and the mirrorless catering more towards more compactness and light weight - it has been APS-C so far, but I'd consider full frame as well.

For consumers who only invest in a single system -- They certainly compete with each other. It's not as if the cameras are so different, that there is ever a situation where only 1 or the other will do. The A7 may not be as fast as the A77 for action photography, but it isn't useless for action. And the smaller size of the E-mount does certainly make it nicer to travel with, but it's not like nobody travels with a regular dSLR.

If, like many consumers, you are only looking to pick one system, there is clearly competition. Go with the smaller compact size, but with fewer and more expensive native lenses... Or go with a larger size, more diverse native lens selection...

Note I actually separated two thoughts there...my post started with:

"If you're looking for a DSLR-type, larger bodied camera, stick with the A77 or the next Alpha A-mount bodies when they come out next year.

If you're looking for a lighter, thinner, rangefinder style body, then go with the E-mount bodies - either the APS-C based versions formerly known as NEX, or the new full-frame sensor versions.

Key advantages to the E-mount bodies: Thinner smaller designs are possible, super-thin registration gap allows adaptability to any other mount, and paired with the smaller lenses they can become very compact.

Key advantages to the A-Mount bodies: Typically, larger buffers, bigger batteries, larger bodies with more controls, better balanced with larger lenses. With SLTs and past DSLRs, the focus was clearly better for things like continuous focus tracking on closing targets...though the mirrorless PDAF-on-Sensor future is as yet unknown."

I acknowledge that a person buying into a new system with no commitment to a type of shooting, a lens mount, etc, could easily be faced with choosing between these two types of cameras - which is why I'd break down that two areas I think each camera tends to cater towards the most...and body type/size are a key part of that.  Then there are the areas in which each camera system may have some advantages over the other.

As a bird shooter who uses the NEX for BIF and other challenging situations, even though it isn't the BEST tool for that job, I'd never write off the A7 or A7R for any particular type of shooting or action.  But if someone asked which is the better tool for that type of shooting, my nod would go to the DSLR or SLT.

The second part of my post was for my personal use or opinion - that I don't find the two systems competing with eachother - for my needs or use.  They are quite complimentary for me.

I think there is a reason Sony has been quiet on the A-mount front, until apparently next year. And it appears they have pulled the A-mount off big box retail shelves (was never prevalent before, but now totally absent). Sony knows the mounts can compete with each other, so they want to allow Holiday 2013 to be about the new E-mounts. Once the excitement for the new E-mounts starts to die down, they will introduce new A-mounts.

I agree - no need to introduce new cameras in both mounts at once, for fear of one getting lost in the chatter and hype.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow