Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,888Gear list
Like?
Re: 4 adapters, might need 2 of them = $350 times TWO
In reply to 123Mike, 11 months ago

123Mike wrote:

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Moving to FF, and also moving away from SLT pellicle mirror will offset the loss of IS. The adapter however re-introduces SLT as part of the A mount adapter solution.

A problem I find with the later SLTs is it is hard to know what benefit IBIS is actually providing in real terms. I do not see a great difference when it is on or off in most shooting scenarios.

I also always had the impression that IBIS was a bit of a stab in the dark. It sometimes appears to do something, if that. I get around motion blur mostly through burst shooting. I shoot like 8+ shots, and then 1 or 2 come out without blur. Lot of work filtering out the blurry ones. I was thinking of creating a photo-organizing software that finds the blurry versions and tgas them for quicker reviewing and discarding.

But about those adapters. There are two flavors, each in two sizes.

v1 straight through
v2 SLT
v3 =v1 in FF
v4 =v2 in FF

All do AF, either through that SLT based PDAF or in body CDAF (assisted by PDAF on sensor in some cases - but that's not proper full time PDAF as of yet).

If you want that best low light sensitivity, you need a v1 or v3 adapter.

If you want continue AF during video, and *fast* AF, you need a v2 or v4 adapter.

So, that's 2 adapters you need. Plus swapping, attaching, storing, tons of fidgeting.

$350 x 2 = $700 in adapters. You can almost get a used A77 for that...

Good grief.

Assumes each photographer wants to do both...

Of course some would say you need an a77 $900 + an A99+2600 for better High ISO if you stayed 100% in A-mount.  That would make the $700 +$1700 a better deal...

If in the future I had cash for a body like the A7 - I would probably spend the money on e-mount lenses for non-action and keep my a77 for action and long telephoto shots.

It is in no way solution that is optimized for a-mount.  Adapters are more for giving users options while they build out the FE Lens line at about 5 per year for 3 years.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow