Why to choose A7/7r over A77 ?

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,362Gear list
Like?
Re: Fairly simple for me...
In reply to zackiedawg, Oct 17, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

If you're looking for a DSLR-type, larger bodied camera, stick with the A77 or the next Alpha A-mount bodies when they come out next year.

So where'd you read about those, or are you just guessing?

Key advantages to the A-Mount bodies: Typically, larger buffers, bigger batteries, larger bodies with more controls, better balanced with larger lenses. With SLTs and past DSLRs, the focus was clearly better for things like continuous focus tracking on closing targets...though the mirrorless PDAF-on-Sensor future is as yet unknown.

Well put.

I personally see no competition between the two lines at all - to me, they are different entities for different purposes...and I like that Sony is covering both markets. I like it enough to own one of each myself - a NEX body alongside an Alpha DSLR. I'll likely continue with this pairing - the DSLR will likely lean towards APS-C, to continue use of my Alpha lenses and with aim to maintain longer battery life, faster focus, faster bursts, bigger buffers, in-body stabilization, and the larger, beefier bodies with more controls...and the mirrorless catering more towards more compactness and light weight - it has been APS-C so far, but I'd consider full frame as well.

I get that the FF will offset IBIS a bit, but I'd prefer a stabilized body with better ergonomics and controls. I too worry about the buffer and overall operational speed. I'd bet the A7 would be a step back from my A57 in terms of that, alone.

Always disliked NEX control scheme and UI.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow