Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,936Gear list
Like?
SSD slowdown on Mac
9 months ago

Several months ago I added an SSD to my 2012 iMac.  Performance increase was high and I used one of the benchmark programs to measure read/write speed against various other drives.

I noticed over the last week or so that the system didn't seem to be as responsive as when the drive was first installed so I ran the benchmarks again.  The results were significantly lower than when the SSD was first installed.  SSD was around 50% full, so that didn't look like the problem.

A bit of research revealed that an important function on the SSD called TRIM is not enabled by the OS if the SSD is not an Apple product.  I have no idea why this should be the case, but further investigation led me to believe this was indeed the case and the likely reason for the slowdown.  TRIM, it seems, is an important part of keeping the SSD free of previously deleted information.

If you should be interested in the technicalities of this issue, which I personally didn't find very interesting and won't waste space repeating, Google "trim SSD" and there's plenty of info out there.

So, finally, to the point of the post.

I downloaded a free program called "TRIM Enabler", which allowed me to turn on the function which the OS had ignored.  As I understand it the TRIM function runs when SSD use is low and took a few minutes to clean out the junk.  The original SSD benchmark scores were reestablished and the system operation returned to it's previous smoothness.

If you are using a non Apple SSD I suggest that you might like to investigate this free program or one of the others which do the same thing.  I understand that there are several other programs out there , but this is the only one I have tried.

-- hide signature --

www.nightstreets.com
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow