Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,673Gear list
Re: Sony RX10 is interesting for m4/3 users
In reply to JCB123, 9 months ago

JCB123 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

The Sony RX10 has the same 20mp sensor as the Sony RX100 II that is well thought of and it has an equivalent 24-200mm f2.8 Zeiss lens. Having a package that includes the equivalent of a 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 makes the $1200 price easier to take.

$1200 RX10

vs.

$1000 GX7
$1300 12-35mm f2.8
$1500 35-100mm f2.8

You can't change the lens on the RX10, but a lot of m4/3 people would be quite happy, I think, even if all they had were the 12-35mm and 35-100mm for their m4/3 camera.

I have read that the zoom-by-wire is poor because turning the zoom ring causes the focal length to change very slowly. Maybe that can be fixed in firmware? Still, this looks to be a very interesting camera. It isn't very small, but I can imagine that for some people this could be enticing. More dof, of course, than FF or APS-C and slightly more than m4/3, but that isn't a big deal for everyone.

I could see that some people might have an m4/3 body to use with a couple of fast single focal length lenses and the RX10 instead of buying the expensive 12-35mm and 35-100mm lenses.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Need to be careful with that equivalence. For exposure f2.8 is f2.8 so it is just as fast as a FF f2.8. In terms of light gathering (and effect on noise) and Depth of field though a 1" sensor is a stop slower than m4/3 and 3 stops slower than FF. So in those terms it is 24-200 f8.

My 25f1.4 gives me the equivalent of f2.8 for the occasions when I want shallow DOF. The RX10 would need to be f1.0 at least at the wide end to achieve the same.

It is a very useful and compelling range of focal lengths I have to agree but I do like to go a bit wider than 24mm and 200mm is often not enough reach for wildlife. The wider the range of focal lengths the more compromises the lens designer has to make so I think it best to have an interchangeable lens system.

The RX100 was more compelling because it does what no m4/3 camera can do, and that is to fit in most of my pockets (even in a case) Even the GM1 can't quite manage that with a lens attached.

Regards

John

Hi John , while as enthusiasts we will explore further { uwa, long telephotos, fast primes etc} .For many people who shoot  at or under 800ISO , which looking through the likes of flickr makes up a huge percentage of photographers. Even though I have an extensive mFT kit and even more extensive FF kit at least  90% of my photos are done at low ISO and between 24-200mm .As a one camera do it all { well do most } i think it looks very interesting

Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow