Lens for "big game" photography

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Questions thread
SRQPHOTOS
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Re: 55-210mm with 1.7x extender - info and pics
In reply to q2, Oct 17, 2013

I am glad I came across this thread, linked from a newer thread.  It gives me all kinds of ideas on what to add to me new NEX-6.

My first thought was a Metabones Adapter, and then use my Canon lenses - mainly my 100-400L lens.  Problem is, not a single one of my Canon EF or EF-S lenses fit on the adapter.  Oddly, my Tamron 90mm and Tamron 18-270 DO fit on the adapter, but there is no autofocus nor aperture control.  Have been in touch with Metabones & they told me to return it.  So that is one option for longer reach than the 16-50.

I was also considering the Sony 18-200, the Tamron 18-200 or the Sony 55-210.  My issue there was that I'd like a little more reach than the 200.  Now that I see about the Sony 1.7 telextender, I am thinknig of going that route.  Is there a difference between to Tamron & the Sony, esp when using the 1.7?

SO now I need to decide if I am better off getting a new Metabones Adapter - ONE THAT ACTUALLY ALLOWS MY LENS TO ATTACH - and use the 100 - 400, or go with one of the Sony combinations?  I assume the SOny combos will be much lighter, but will the IQ be badly compromised with a COmbo?

SRQPHOTOS's gear list:SRQPHOTOS's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Sony a6000 Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
F11?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow