Why to choose A7/7r over A77 ?

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,169Gear list
Like?
Fairly simple for me...
In reply to Abhayks, Oct 17, 2013

If you're looking for a DSLR-type, larger bodied camera, stick with the A77 or the next Alpha A-mount bodies when they come out next year.

If you're looking for a lighter, thinner, rangefinder style body, then go with the E-mount bodies - either the APS-C based versions formerly known as NEX, or the new full-frame sensor versions.

Those to me are the key differences between A-Mount and E-Mount - with a few exceptions and a little crossover between them.

Key advantages to the E-mount bodies:  Thinner smaller designs are possible, super-thin registration gap allows adaptability to any other mount, and paired with the smaller lenses they can become very compact.

Key advantages to the A-Mount bodies: Typically, larger buffers, bigger batteries, larger bodies with more controls, better balanced with larger lenses.  With SLTs and past DSLRs, the focus was clearly better for things like continuous focus tracking on closing targets...though the mirrorless PDAF-on-Sensor future is as yet unknown.

I personally see no competition between the two lines at all - to me, they are different entities for different purposes...and I like that Sony is covering both markets.  I like it enough to own one of each myself - a NEX body alongside an Alpha DSLR.  I'll likely continue with this pairing - the DSLR will likely lean towards APS-C, to continue use of my Alpha lenses and with aim to maintain longer battery life, faster focus, faster bursts, bigger buffers, in-body stabilization, and the larger, beefier bodies with more controls...and the mirrorless catering more towards more compactness and light weight - it has been APS-C so far, but I'd consider full frame as well.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow