Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
moji
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Pentax in danger!
9 months ago

The Ricoh badge on back of K3 is alarming!

When Ricoh obtained Pentax, they stated that they had stablished a new subsidiary for all their imaginary products and called it: "Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd".

By introducing the K3, they said that "Pentax" is now a brand name belonging to Ricoh. That is all right and non-dicussionable, as they have all stock of the Pentax company.

For me the "Ricoh" badge back of K3 is very wired. According to Ricoh's earlier word this new product belongs to Pentax Ricoh. So, What is Ricoh badge now?

I think the right approach would be to do exactly as Hoya did with the K5. Under the camera the information says: Pentax k5, Hoya corporation. Ricoh could write under the camera: Pentax ricoh imaging company instead.

Remember, Nikon is owned by Mitsubishi. I have never seen any Nikon camera goes a with Mitsubishi name on it.

By degrading Pentax to only a brand name there is a danger that Ricoh keeps the Pentax technology and sell tthe brand name to some Hong Kong based company producing cheap elecronics, Exactly what Kyocera did with "Yashica".

I, like many other photography enthusiast, know Ricoh from the non-digital time. I have always had respect for Ricoh but Ricoh is Ricoh and Pentax is Pentax.

Of course, we consumers, have very little to say about the strategy such a big company choose. But, at least we can say what we mean about it: I don't like it!

Regards,

Mojtaba

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow