Why to choose A7/7r over A77 ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris Malcolm
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?
Re: Why to choose A7/7r over A77 ?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, 6 months ago

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Moving to FF, and also moving away from SLT pellicle mirror will offset the loss of IS. The adapter however re-introduces SLT as part of the A mount adapter solution.

A problem I find with the later SLTs is it is hard to know what benefit IBIS is actually providing in real terms. I do not see a great difference when it is on or off in most shooting scenarios.

At least some of the later SLTs (e.g. A77) have two different kinds of IBIS, one for stills and one for video. You have to be sure you're turning the right one on & off. Of course you won't notice any difference except in shots which were slow enough in shutter speed to have been spoiled by a bit of camera shake, but not so much that the IBIS can't cope with it. I seem to be steady enough that If I shoot in auto modes the auto tends to keep my shutter speeds high enough that IBIS isn't needed, i.e. it has no effect. But when I deliberately push shutter speeds lower into the danger zone i find it is very effective.

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow