Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Abhayks
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Why to choose A7/7r over A77 ?
Oct 17, 2013

I currently have an A55 and am happy with it. However, its already 3 years old and showing age.

Planning to replace it. My choice was A77, but was holding on as the high ISO performance of A55 is better than A77. Now that A7 is released and in the price range, I am tempted to give in to Full frame and jump. However, there are various points which are stopping me from making the switch.

1. No 2.8 lens for A7 which can AF. Now I can use Sony A-mount 2.8 lenses but they will not AF and AF is a must ( for my skills) to shoot running / playing kids. I love the bokeh provided by my current Tamron 17-50 2.8. I can reuse this lens on A77 and still have AF. No such current option on A7.
  2. I have tried A77 and its very quick to AF, much faster than my A55. Even with the limited lens available on A7, the AF speed is still in question. I have tried Nex-7 and its AF speed simply cannot be compared to my A55. If A7 is anything as slow as Nex-7, it'll be a disaster for me.
  3. A55 and A77 are good to hold while the grip of Nex-7 feels odd. A7 is decidedly heavier than Nex-7 so should be having a better feel to the grip. But does it compares to the robust grip of A77 ?
  4. A77 battery will outlive A7 battery.
  5. The joystick on A77 proves much useful, not present on A7.
  6. On A77 I can use some cheap lenses like Sony 35 1.8, Sony 28-75 2.8 , Beercan and get very good result. The lens that can AF on A7 are very expensive and will increase my budget by a huge factor.
  7. I can use my existing Flash F43 AM with A77.
  8. Tons of used lenses and accessories available for A77. A used Minolta 70-210 :F4 can be had for as little as $150-200 and is still an excellent lens. It has great AF on A77. These cheap options are un-thinkable on A7. 

Considering all these options I am heavily inclined towards buying A77, well atleast that that my brain says. Not sure why my heart is fixed on A7 with the Kit Lens.

Would appreciate any points for an against A7/ A77. This will help me make the final decision.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow