Which super zoom bridge camera would you recommend and why?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,016Gear list
Like?
Re: Which super zoom bridge camera would you recommend and why?
In reply to Kings1, 10 months ago

Kings1 wrote:

I own a Sony SLT A55 and a NEX, but the super telephotos and cost prohibitive for me right now. I simply can not afford a long range Lens for the Sony...

If you are used to these, you may have a hard job finding a bridge camera to suit you. Maybe you could look for suitable lenses on the second hand market.

I'm considering the Nikon P520, the Sony HX 300, or thee Panasonic Lumix FZ 70, which one would you choose? Or do you have another brand that is better in your mind?

I would exclude the Sony HX 300. There are two many comments about over-processing in the camera, here as well as on YouTube.

I should say I'm leaning towards the Panasonic because it can capture raw files, but this isn't a big sticking point to me.

I can't have two new cameras, and my actual requirement is for a light-weight long zoom pocket P&S. For recording our Morris gig videos, the camera gets mounted on my accordion. Extra weight causes extra whiplash, and the larger size focusses public attention on me instead of the dancing. Sandra has agreed that I can have the Olympus SH-50 iHS.

But for a bridge camera, I also lean towards the Panasonic FZ 70. You have a range from 20mm to 1200mm, which covers interiors for rental advertising right up to moon- and bird shots, AND for video the sound focusses with the lens. I just wished for more FZ 70 postings over on the Panasonic forum. They have too much pre-occupation with the FZ 200 for my liking.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow