ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cptobvious
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?
5 camera lines affected by the A7/R
9 months ago

My $0.02:

1. Leica M - To be fair, Leica M buyers probably are not even considering price in their purchasing decisions, as it falls in the 'luxury item' category. But the introduction of the A7/R at their price points just makes the Leica M 240 even more of an outlier and frankly antiquated.
  2. APS-C and smaller mirrorless cameras in the $1000-1500 range. Including the Olympus E-M1/E-M5/E-P5, Panasonic GH-3/GX-7, Fuji X-Pro 1 and Sony NEX-7. All of these cameras will be a tough sell at their current price points. Olympus, by many accounts, enjoyed the "king of the mirrorless" crown for 1.5 years and they priced their high-end cameras to match. But given that the A7's sensor has almost 4x the surface area of the E-M1 and the body is lighter to boot, how long can Olympus continue asking $1400 for it?
  3. APS-C DSLRs in the $1000-1500 range. From what I can tell, the D7100 and 70D are already being discounted through refurbished channels and rebate bundles, suggesting that buyers are not picking these up in droves. A large part is probably due to the D610/D600 and 6D competing against them at the next higher price point. While the D7100 and 70D do offer the better AF systems that appeal to sports/action shooters, the casual shooter who doesn't need tracking AF might be swayed to the smaller body of the A7.
  4. D610/D600 and 6D. These have the short-term advantage over the A7/R in lens and accessory choices. Personally, I will probably still buy the 6D over the A7 as my next camera as I don't think the A7 will have a compelling line-up for me until 2015. In two years, however, I think the choice will be a lot more interesting.
  5. D800e - for landscape shooters who use mostly legacy or manual focus glass, the A7R has focus peaking (and to me, Sony's implementation is currently the best) along with the size/weight/price savings. It would seem that since the D800e is already a specialized camera, the A7R could replace it in many circumstances.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow