GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

DaveEM1 wrote:

What are your opinions of this lens for those that own it.

Thanks

I love my 7-14mm and should use it more often in landscape situations. I have also used it for architectural and "perspective" shots.

It was the first lens that I put on my new GX7 last week.... see:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3558939

I watch flare carefully and use my hat when shooting up-sun.

However I am puzzled by a constant fuzziness when shooting difficult sunsets. These illustrate the issue...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52319934

and

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52319934

Hopefully the expertise on this thread/forum can help me deal with this issue ... which seems to be unique to the 7-14 lens.

You gave us the same link twice Tom. Guess there might have been another one you wanted to show as well.

As to the one you show, I'd guess that's flare, pure and simple. While the 7-14 won't show purple flare on your Panys, it'll still flare in certain cases (not an unusual trait among UWAs) and the fact that you had to push this image hard probably didn't help the situation.

Thank you, Anders. Sorry for the error.... cognitive deficiencies are becoming increasingly frequent!!!!!

This is the other one:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52326851

where

and the fact that you had to push this image hard probably didn't help the situation.

certainly seems to be a very significant factor.

Last evening I was driving for about 15 minutes with the sun in my eyes, shining through the upper part of a pine forest. I couldn't help but notice the strong diffracted light that was coming through my sunglasses.

So I am wondering if shooting into the sun, which is partially obscured by fine foliage, might generate that fuzziness.

Well shooting into the sun will certainly not help contrast in the foliage due to flare as well as other optical aberrations. Having to push the shadows doesn't help either since the noise reduces the microcontrast. That said, I don't really see anything remarkable about your second (new) sample. The contrast is low in the spot close to the sun but also in other places due to way the light falls on the scene in general.

The first sample is another story. There's a patch in the foliage close to the sun where contrast is reduced. Could be flare. Could also possibly be moist (fog) from the river.

Thanks Anders!

I just got home from another trip to that bridge, shooting earlier in the day under a light overcast, removing the source of flare. I also shot some brackets. Everything in Manual. Did some experiments with spot metering as well as the matrix metering on the GX7 is becoming a bit suspect to me now. Later today I hope to process the results and will post them here.

I Googled "diffraction through leaves" and found some images that illustrate my suspicions here:

Last evening I was driving for about 15 minutes with the sun in my eyes, shining through the upper part of a pine forest. I couldn't help but notice the strong diffracted light that was coming through my sunglasses.

So I am wondering if shooting into the sun, which is partially obscured by fine foliage, might generate that fuzziness.

These indicate what I mean:

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/46286121.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Diffraction_Halo_at_Sunset.jpg

The second one is especially relevant as it has a combination of diffraction AND flare. The bottom of the image with that gross flare (I think) is very similar to what I am experiencing.

So I guess that if I get an interesting sunset in the next few days, I'll take my chances and get out on that bridge again to try to hide the sun behind a "bump" and/or shoot some brackets so that I don't have to push the darks so hard in LR.

Hiding the sun behind a "bump" is frequently an effective strategy as (hopefully) illustrated here:

Nice one! The "behind the bump" technique worked very well in this one!

Yeah. I looked carefully for the proper spot to hide the sun.

Slowly, I think that I am getting it. One of these days I'll get that scene suitable for a large print. ... that is if I survive the exercise!!!

Early this afternoon, (against Frank's suggestion), I again went out on that bridge with the 7-14mm. I could clearly see the flare in the EVF and ended up using my hat to remove it... with the resulting photo at http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52331806

I would love to capture that scene at sunset with coloured leaves on the trees, but so far I must admit that I've not been very successful. The next time I will fire some brackets and then fuse them using Photomatix ... maybe that will help with the noise / fuzz issues. I hope so.

Bracketing exposure and then merging/aligning in PP sounds like the right thing to do for this scene. Watch closely for flare and you'll hopefully get it.

But, I am going to stop in and visit my friends in the fire department and get one of those day-glow jackets to wear on that bridge!!!

Thanks for your help, Anders.

Tom

I just realized that I might be hijacking this thread! My apologies to the OP.

Maybe we should be having this conversation at GX7 First Light .

It doesn't look like we are interfering with anything else here at the moment and the question is not really irrelevant to the thread so I suggest we continue here unless the OP asks us not to.

OK.

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Tom

You are welcome Tom. Hopefully you'll get everything right next time. The scene is certainly worth capturing.

This is what I got this afternoon. Photomatix HDR of 5 shot bracket:

Probably the last shot, for this year, of this scene, as rain is forecast for the rest of the week, which will probably pull down the remainder of the leaves. No fuzz, flare or other issues, as the conditions were very nice. Maybe I'll get a fall sunset over the mouth of that river in Autumn 2014! And my relatives and friends can relax as I won't wander out on that bridge for a while!

So I have almost a whole year to practice getting a decent sunset shot with the sun partly obscured by trees etc. ... and to learn the characteristics of that nice little GX7.

Thanks for your help.

T

Well you got that one right. The PP is a bit over the top for me (too much HDR) but that's something you can easily adjust if you want. The important thing is that you got what you wanted while out there.

I agree.  I am also not a fan of overdone HDR.  I am still learning how to use Photomatix to minimize that HDR "look".

Here is the mid-frame of that bracket converted in DNG and post processed in LR4.3:

RW2 -> DNG -> LR4.3 (perspective correction + a bit of tweaking)

The exposure (Manual, pattern metering, 0 EC) could've been increased by 1/3 EV to get ETTR but since I was shooting a bracket, I didn't take to the time (on that bridge) to get it right on.

I think that I prefer the bottom one too.  But I bet I could sell more of the top one, if I were a commercial photographer!

Raining here today .... first day of a forecast week of wet.

T

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow