Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,804Gear list
Like?
EM-1 with 90-250mm or 300mm f/2.8 ??
9 months ago

Has anyone given the EM-1 a solid workout with the 90-250mm or 300mm f/2.8  lenses ?

And I don't mean a few test shots in a store, I mean out in the field for a couple of hours, or a full day.

I know the IQ from the EM-1 is way in advance of the E-5, and expect ISO3200 to be routinely usable.  And these are the reasons I want an EM-1 (now that there's to be no E-7), but there's more to shooting with big lenses for extended periods than just image quality

Specifically . . .

- How does it handle with/out the HLD  grip ?
- Did you end up with muscle fatigue in your hands?
- What was the battery life like - how many spares did you need to carry
- Was SAF as good as the E-5
- Is the reported AF weakness in low light  a real issue ?
- are any of the (reported) Bigma miss-focus issues evident with the big Zuikos ?
- How much better is the CAF then the E-5 ?
- Were there any functional problems stacking the MMF with the EC ?
- Did the rig feel secure with the MMF ?
- were there balance problems with a tripod ?
-

And finally
After a long shoot in the field, were you glad to have shot with the EM-1, or did you miss your E-5 ?

There's still no EM-1 stock being distributed to stores in Australia, and no sign of the promised Olympus 'road show' in Sydney where (Olympus told me) I can try out my own 4/3 lenses.

The end of the Olympus Australia Special offer  of free MMF or HLD by redemption  (31 October) is coming up soon, and I have still not even laid eyes on an EM-1 let alone tried one with my ZD300mm/2.8 . So  I'm hoping for some solid feedback from some wildlife shooters out there who can help me with a decision to order an EM-1 untried.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +22 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow