LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 shipped... finally!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?
My total kit
In reply to morepix, 6 months ago

morepix wrote:

When I first bought into M43 a few years ago, I bought a 14-45 kit lens and a 45-200 for longer reach. I figured there's no point in having an interchangeable lens camera if you aren't going to change lenses. And anyway, the 14-140 lens of those days was a tank.

Well, that was a bogus notion for me. I found that for my style of shooting, I always had the wrong lens mounted at the wrong time and missed all the best opps as a result. So my M43 gear found a place on the shelf where it collected a lot of dust while I enjoyed the versatility of an "enthusiast" camera, culminating so far in the LX7. Supplemented by an ultrazoom.

Well, I recently got rid of the excess M43 gear and bought the new 14-140. Happy as a clam now. I still have other lenses -- ultra-wide, a couple of primes, a kit-range zoom. But the 14-140 has pride of place, and I'm glad to have it there in all but special circumstances.

If I had two M43 bodies, as the OP does, it might be different. I've tried occasionally to hang one camera over each shoulder, but I found it confusing and uncomfortable -- especially with tethered eyeglasses and maybe a hat with a chin strap to hold it against the wind. All those strings --too much!

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Pretty well what I found, Dave.  Here is my current lineup:

Bodies: LX7, GX1, GH3

Lenses: 20mm, 14-140, 12-35, 100-300

The LX7 is usually around me somewhere, easily a take anywhere camera.  My other kits, depending on shooting intentions, is below.  Note that I have found a bag that minimizes size and maximizes accessibility for each kit.

Small kit: GX1 + 20mm in Snapr 20 bag/sling

Smaller zoom kit: GX1 + 12-35 in Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 case

Travel kit: GH3 + 14-140 + 20mm in Ona Bowery Bag (note: if rain is expected take 14-140 and 12-35)

Birding kit: GH3 with 14-140 and 100-300 in an Acme Union Photo Messenger bag

Gotta have everything kit:  All the above photo gear in a Domke F-2X bag

These combinations make sense to me, and work well.  They are the result of much experimentation (and disposable income).  Your needs will probably be different, but these give me the flexibility I like.

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow