Heavy Photoshop User - i7 iMac enough?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
stevejack
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: Heavy Photoshop User - i7 iMac enough?
In reply to Basalite, 6 months ago

Basalite wrote:

How do you know you are out of RAM? See this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342

The latest iMac (i7, 32gb RAM, 512gb SSD) would give me a decent boost, but can anyone advise as to whether this would be enough for the type of photoshop work that I'm doing?

You already have enough RAM For what you are doing.

I would probably add a second SSD via thunderbolt purely as a scratch disk down the line.

The new Mac pro's would be great but they're quite an investment... are they necessary with photoshop when you start getting up over 2gb file sizes or are they more about longevity?

No.

You are fine with what you have. Your iMac also supports up to 32GB of RAM, despite Apple's official amount of 16GB.

Thanks for the reply.

There's a lot of RAM that gets used up by having simultaneous programs open (lightroom, photomatix, photoshop etc). I often go back and forth between these during the course of an edit session. Closing them does help obviously, as does purging the inactive ram from time to time.

But once the Ram fills up just by using photoshop (visible in activity monitor) everything grinds to a halt. Luminance Masking really eats it up when you start creating multiple lights / darks channels and sub channel masks. I'm finding that I need to have everything else shut down (safari, lightroom etc) just to start with, and even then eventually the memory fills up and things slow right down.

If 12gb is enough why is activity monitor showing that I'm using all of my memory (it hovers around 50mb free) if there's plenty left? Do you have any suggestions to improve things with my current system?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow