Started Oct 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cplittleton
Regular MemberPosts: 331Gear list
Like?
Card reader question
Oct 16, 2013

I'm upgrading to a new camera body, and the new camera will use SD cards.  My old body uses CF cards.

I have a multi-format external card reader (USB 2.0) for my 2011 iMac that I bought at the same time as my iMac to dump the CF cards.  The card reader also has an SD card slot.  I know my iMac has an SD card slot built in that I've never used.  Should I expect better performance from the SD slot in the reader or from the iMac built-in reader?

(Note - I understand that different cards will give different performance in the same reader; I'm looking for an answer assuming the same card in both readers).

Part of my concern is the transition from a mix of older 2GB & 4Gb CF cards to modern 32Gb SD cards.  My new camera's sensor is quite a bit larger, so there's going to be a lot more data per image being pushed through whatever reader I use.

CPLittleton

cplittleton's gear list:cplittleton's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Nik HDR Efex Pro +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow