Started Oct 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevejack
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Heavy Photoshop User - i7 iMac enough?
Oct 15, 2013

Hi Guys, I have a Mid 2010 iMac (i5) with 12gb of memory. My photoshop work has expanded recently to include large panoramas with starting size of 2.5gb or so... that's before any editing is applied. My single image edits have a starting size of around 120mb and frequently exceed 2gb in size with all the layers. I am constantly out of memory even on single image edits so the stitched shots just absolutely cripple my machine.

The latest iMac (i7, 32gb RAM, 512gb SSD) would give me a decent boost, but can anyone advise as to whether this would be enough for the type of photoshop work that I'm doing?

I would probably add a second SSD via thunderbolt purely as a scratch disk down the line.

The new Mac pro's would be great but they're quite an investment... are they necessary with photoshop when you start getting up over 2gb file sizes or are they more about longevity? TBH I'd rather upgrade an iMac every 3 years than buy a single Mac Pro every 5 years. Technology just changes so fast and even if the processing power can be upgraded, the architecture (USB2 / Thunderbolt) lags behind.

If anyone can chime in with their photoshop experiences I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks guys,

Steve.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow