What does water resistant mean to you ??

Started Oct 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Central Fla
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?
What does water resistant mean to you ??
Oct 15, 2013

I have a flipside 300 that I use and generally like. I purchased it from B & H, stuffed my gear into it and everything has been fine. Yesterday I traveled a ways to help a friend fix his RV and as usual I am looking everywhere in case something catches my eye, that shape or color or arrangement that deserves a second look that deserves a shot. I should know better, I am the first to offer this advise to those photographers driving down the road in the creative mode "don't do it". Driving and zoning out is like being 17 with your first car, crazy. But I was doing it anyway and almost missed my turn so I jabbed the brakes and cut the wheel. Good old GM, been building cars for 100 years and still pays no attention to the design of it's products. My extra shallow cup holder allows my mug to go over into the passenger seat where my backpack was strapped in lying flat. About 1/4 cup of water spilled on the zipper corner of the lowepro flipside 300. I promptly stopped and dabbed up the water and checked the inside. To my surprize the inde was damp, the foam was wet and this morning the half t shirt I use to cushion my 70-200 ( attatched to the dslr in the middle) was also wet. I understand this was not droplets of rain and that it was a small deluge all at once.

I can only think that the zipper area allowed the water through but the material soaked it up surprisingly fast. I am not sure if any testing is ever done, but for those of you who had thought that water resistant meant it was OK in the rain until you could get underneath cover think again. I have always carried an emergency solution for rain, but now I will rethink even the slightest rain, water intrusion occurs way too fast on my water-resistant backpack. There are two zippers, perhaps they should meet at the top and not the bottom, these corners are collection points.

If you have any Idea that your water resistant backpack would just have to make do in the rain, you may be conducting an expensive test.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow