Started Oct 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Greg Nold
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
Light Room 5 Question From New User
Oct 15, 2013

Good Morning Folks! I'm hoping this is the appropriate forum for my questions... please let me know if not.

Nearly three years after starting out with my first camera (a Nikon D7000), I've finally picked up a copy of Lightroom 5 and I'm trying to edit my first image. The image is a JPEG, not RAW, because until now I had no time to learn how to correct RAW images (two jobs = working around the clock.) I've come to the inevitable conclusion that I must make some time to learn, and I now have my camera set to record both RAW and JPEG's.

Is it possible to effectively correct a JPEG using Lightroom?

My JPEG photo is of a beautiful black girl of about 8 years old with her father behind her, sort of cheek-to-cheek with her and also looking at the camera. Everything about the exposure looked great except that the girl's teeth are way too white... she looks like she just finished a white powdered doughnut. Some detail is lost on her teeth, but not all.  (I chose this image as a good exercise to learn Lightroom.)

Is it possible with Lightroom to reduce ONLY the brilliance of the girl's teeth without affecting the rest of the photo?   Does such a tool or technique exist in Lightroom?

I imagine I'd have to find away to 'select' only her teeth, then apply changes to the selected area.  I've tried to find such a way but without any luck.  I've only been able to reduce the whites and exposure by using the slider controls, and I've definitely made the photo better... but... I've also reduced the whites in other areas of the photo, including the whites her father's eyes which were previously fine.

Would I have had additional options if the image had been RAW?

The problem I have starting out is that I don't really know anything about editing nor do I know the terminology used.  There is no user manual with the software and I'm unsure how to enter what I need in the HELP field to bring up the solution I'm looking for. I probably need to go to the bookstore and buy a 'Lightroom 5 For Dummies' book or similar to help me get started, but in the meantime, I'll try to tackle it myself.

Any insight would be great, including the titles of books or internet resources you like which would help me learn Lightroom 5.  Thanks folks, I appreciate your help!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow