ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TGM123
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Fill Flash in Manual Mode on a Canon
10 months ago

Hi,

I always shoot in manual mode on my camera, too addicted to the control I guess. I have a 5D Mark III and a Speedlite (550EX) and Yongnuo 569EX II. I will likely be using an 85/1.2 and I am looking for the best way to leverage the on-camera mounted Speedlite based fill flash in eTTL mode for outdoor back-lit portraits. That is, a nice balance of background exposure and fill on the subject. Below is my approach and for use in manual mode (e.g. not Av or Tv mode) and I would like to get feedback if I am missing something and/or anyone has a better approach:

1) Meter the entire scene.

2) Adjust shutter speed / aperture / ISO based on what look I am trying to get with the goal of setting the overall scene (subject plus background) exposure anywhere from -1/3 to -1 stops.

2) Use the Speedlite in eTTL mode adjusting the FEC to taste which seems that seems to be somewhere between 0 to -1 stop (looking for any guidelines here).

However, it seems I am missing something and/or making it more complicated than it needs to be. For example, if I am adjusting everything down up to a stop, why do I need to do that at all? Help that neuron fire in my brain that will help me understand. I would love to hear the steps any of you have followed to use fill flash in manual mode.

Thanks,

Tom

-- hide signature --

www.tommarronphotography.com

TGM123's gear list:TGM123's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow