30mm vs 50mm vs 100mm macro on A77

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Bob Janes
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Re: 30mm vs 50mm vs 100mm macro on A77
In reply to jidery, 11 months ago

I've owned all three: They are all rather wonderful.

The 30 is a lovely little go-anywhere lens - at true macro you are very nearly touching your subject, but a lot of quality close-up photography is done short f 1:1 - the really valuable thing about this lens is its ability to get in behind stuff - you can even take pictures of daisies from underneath...

The 50 is very sharp and very practical for table-top photography, although on APS-C 50mm is a bit of a funny focal length.

The 100 is a thing of beauty - lots of working room for insects and rather lovely with its non-rotating focus ring, it can also be used as a tele lens although focusing does require moving a lot of glass (so it isn't too speedy).

Price-wise, the 30 is a steal - I'm still tempted to get another one even though I'm shooting full-frame now... (I lost mine in a burglary).  Even if you get one of the others, get this one as well.

The 50 is a very good compromise for price and practicality, although it doesn't have the working distance or quality feel of the 100.

There are other good options from 3rd parties as well - you will hear lots of good things about the Tamron 90, which is supposed to perform nearly as well as the Sony 100.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow