30mm vs 50mm vs 100mm macro on A77

Started Oct 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Bob Janes
Contributing MemberPosts: 857Gear list
Re: 30mm vs 50mm vs 100mm macro on A77
In reply to jidery, Oct 14, 2013

I've owned all three: They are all rather wonderful.

The 30 is a lovely little go-anywhere lens - at true macro you are very nearly touching your subject, but a lot of quality close-up photography is done short f 1:1 - the really valuable thing about this lens is its ability to get in behind stuff - you can even take pictures of daisies from underneath...

The 50 is very sharp and very practical for table-top photography, although on APS-C 50mm is a bit of a funny focal length.

The 100 is a thing of beauty - lots of working room for insects and rather lovely with its non-rotating focus ring, it can also be used as a tele lens although focusing does require moving a lot of glass (so it isn't too speedy).

Price-wise, the 30 is a steal - I'm still tempted to get another one even though I'm shooting full-frame now... (I lost mine in a burglary).  Even if you get one of the others, get this one as well.

The 50 is a very good compromise for price and practicality, although it doesn't have the working distance or quality feel of the 100.

There are other good options from 3rd parties as well - you will hear lots of good things about the Tamron 90, which is supposed to perform nearly as well as the Sony 100.

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A99 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow