Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MerikW
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Please help with lens selection
9 months ago

It's finally time for me to leave my trusty old Nikon D90 and switch to something smaller, lighter, better. For me, I think that would be the GX7. But I'm not sure about what lenses to choose. It would be great with some feedback on my thoughts.

I will use the camera for 50% travel/vacation photos, 20% mountainbike photos, 10% cat photos, 10% food photos, 10% street stuff.

I know that the panasonic kit zoom will be ok but I think I would like the 20mm kit much more. I have a 35mm dx for my nikon so I'm quite used to the (fx) 50mm focal length. So if I don't get the zoom lens, what should I choose?

The Panasonic 14/2.5 for wide angle. I think it's a good length for bike photos but I'm really worried about getting it to focus fast enough. But that might be impossible I have to use manual/fixed focus and just take the photo in the right time. I've read that C-AF isn't very good on the gx7 or other m4/3 cameras.

My other choice for mountainbike photos would be the Rokinon/Samyang 7,5 fisheye. Getting things in focus would not be so hard with that kind of lens, right?

And then at the longer end, get the olympus 45/1.8. Great for portraits and when you need some tele length.

Am I missing something or anything I haven't thought of? I will do very little video, probably just with the fisheye shooting bikes.

MerikW's gear list:MerikW's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow