Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MerikW
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Please help with lens selection
11 months ago

It's finally time for me to leave my trusty old Nikon D90 and switch to something smaller, lighter, better. For me, I think that would be the GX7. But I'm not sure about what lenses to choose. It would be great with some feedback on my thoughts.

I will use the camera for 50% travel/vacation photos, 20% mountainbike photos, 10% cat photos, 10% food photos, 10% street stuff.

I know that the panasonic kit zoom will be ok but I think I would like the 20mm kit much more. I have a 35mm dx for my nikon so I'm quite used to the (fx) 50mm focal length. So if I don't get the zoom lens, what should I choose?

The Panasonic 14/2.5 for wide angle. I think it's a good length for bike photos but I'm really worried about getting it to focus fast enough. But that might be impossible I have to use manual/fixed focus and just take the photo in the right time. I've read that C-AF isn't very good on the gx7 or other m4/3 cameras.

My other choice for mountainbike photos would be the Rokinon/Samyang 7,5 fisheye. Getting things in focus would not be so hard with that kind of lens, right?

And then at the longer end, get the olympus 45/1.8. Great for portraits and when you need some tele length.

Am I missing something or anything I haven't thought of? I will do very little video, probably just with the fisheye shooting bikes.

MerikW's gear list:MerikW's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow