Started Oct 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rankin Johnson
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
Question about managing Aperture libraries
Oct 14, 2013

How do I move libraries, folders, or other big batches of pictures off of my computer and onto a separate hard drive?

I can export folders or projects as libraries to the other drive. But then they are in both places. I can go and delete the original folder, I suppose. But, the way that Apple manages all the originals so I can't get at them, I can't just go to the pictures directly and move them to the new location, and I don't want for the originals to stay and take up hard-drive space on the laptop; I want them moved and gone on the laptop, and only present on the external drive. Aperture's division between originals and versions makes it hard to know when Aperture has moved, copied, or deleted everything. Obviously, I  don't want to delete pictures by mistake. Finally, I don't want for Dropbox to think that moved pictures have actually been deleted, and then delete them from a shared Dropbox folder.

My plan is to import pictures onto the laptop, cull and edit, and then store them long-term on the external drive. This seems like a perfectly obvious, natural way to handle it, but Aperture doesn't seem to expect it. I don't want to work with pictures on the hard drive, which, I assume, will be slower than working with pictures on the laptop's drive.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-- hide signature --

/s/ Rankin Johnson IV
-Fighting for justice, but I'll settle for a reversal.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow