Professional equipment is not allowed in malls?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
JTC111
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
Re: Exactly
In reply to wombat661, 11 months ago

wombat661 wrote:

JTC111 wrote:

This has been addressed. The mall's rules must comply with all national, state, and local laws. The owner would also have to abide by whatever agreements were signed with the merchants. But outside of that, as long as they're doing that, they're free to make any rules they want.

As far as only allowing folks with Nikons to come to the mall, I know of no legal reason why a mall owner couldn't make that rule. It wouldn't be a smart rule which is likely why no one has done it so far as I know, but the number of stupid things we can legally do are plentiful.

If you're aware of a legal reason why such a rule could not be implemented, I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Your premise that "everyone needs to use the mall" deifies logic and reason. People are banned from malls all the time for various reasons, not all of them criminal. Once banned, those people find other ways to get the products they might have gotten at the mall.

The example you provide, wheelchair access, is a poor one. As mentioned, there are local, state, and federal laws that apply to commercial businesses regardless of the mall owner's feelings on those laws.

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo
"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme" - Richard Thompson

Laws are constantly changing base on the general public's attitude. What was legal before photographing children are more or less illegal now (or will be very soon).

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Is there any place in this country where it is illegal to take a picture of a kid in a public place?  None that I know of.  Do you even know of a location where that issue is being debated?
Simply saying it's going to happen because you think it should happen is a far cry from it actually happening anywhere.

If people's attitude is that mall owner can do whatever he/she please, then that will be law. At a fundamental level, once you have a property that the community use, you have an obligation to the community.

Wrong.  The mall owner has an obligation to whoever leases his space and an obligation to obey the law.

Your rules has to be reasonable.

Show me the law that says that.

Because now you have a monopoly on the community.

You don't know what a monopoly is.  I know of no mall in the United States that has any kind of monopoly.  You're just making crap up now.

It does not matter if there are ways around it. We can always go back to horse and buggy and use stone tablets. To say there are ways around it is not a good argument.

Ways around what?  I have no idea what this bit is about.

Just to be sure, there are people banned from the mall, and the owner can do that assuming they were banned for a good reason. ie: attempted murder. But they can't be banned because they used a Cannon instead of Nikon. That is not reasonable, and community should not accept that even. If an owner did that, then the public will need to make a law to make sure that does not happen. I don't like nanny laws, but laws giving people freedom, all for that.

You missed the point completely.  It would be monumentally stupid for a mall owner to ban only Canon cameras.  That's why no one has done it.  But just because it's monumentally stupid doesn't mean it's illegal.
You're clearly out of your league on this argument.  You're inventing laws that don't exist and your arguments are full of very big holes.

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo
"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme" - Richard Thompson

JTC111's gear list:JTC111's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow