On-sensor PDAF, will it be as good as mirrored cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,178Gear list
Like?
Re: On-sensor PDAF, will it be as good as mirrored cameras?
In reply to havoc315, 9 months ago

havoc315 wrote:

cplunk wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

So I really am forced to wonder..... it is all speculation for now.. but if Sony does indeed start building mirrorless A-mounts.... Then will future A-mounts be a backwards step in autofocus, just like the dSLT was a backward step in high-ISO performance.

Would slower but more accurate be a step backwards?

Depends on your priorities. To me, focus accuracy is never an issue if you have enough time. If you have all the time in the world, you can get the focus accurate eventually. The wonderful thing about a good dSLR is focus SPEED. The able to get that accurate focus FAST.

So to me, if I lose the focus speed, it would be a huge loss.

If it's fast, but not accurate, it's worthless. If it can match current DSLR speeds, and maintain mirror less accuracy, the mirror will be gone.

But we all seem to be assuming this will be done via on sensor focus points. Has anyone considered they might have some other idea that's different? If they've already made the mirror translucent and able to reflect enough to focus with, maybe they could do the same with shutter blades? or get enough of a reflection off the sensor itself somehow?

Or if they left the SLT mirror in there to pop down with AF-C mode, and pop up with AF-S? (over a year ago sonyrumors did mention them patenting the translucent mirror flipping up and down)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OuchNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow