Started Oct 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
net1994
Contributing MemberPosts: 509
Like?
Ready to buy a D610 or D800 - Help me decide which fits best
Oct 13, 2013

I posted some of these questions a while ago, but after doing a bit more research and looking at a lot of the pics I was able to get with rented D600 and rented D800, I have a few more questions and (I think) close to a decision. I have a D300 and no high end lenses. Right now I shoot about 75% street photography, 20% landscapes/nature and the rest night time photography. However I want to do more landscape shots down the line and this percentage will only increase. Also want to start doing portraiture. Low light performance is a big selling point for me.

Updates since last time:
-Not worried about dust, etc. issues with the new D610. I can't imagine they could let this slip by again.
-After looking through most of my D800 pics, I noticed about 70%+ of the pics were out of focus when using either a 14-24mm or 50mm 1.4 lens. Quite a bit of camera shake (I think). As I do mostly walk around pics, this would be quite an issue. I could improve my technique. This issue is the single biggest factor that has made me look more at the D610 as the wise choice.
-Price difference is not an issue w/ D800 as I would get a refurbished unit for only ~$400 more.
-Whenever I think about the step back with the 39-point AF of the D610, I immediately want a D800.

Updated are the attributes of each camera that would help or hurt me.

D610 PRO:
-Faster post-processing due to file size. (But my PC is 'beefy' enough to handle either camera.)
-A better walk around camera?
-U1/U2 settings

D610 CONS:
-Not as ruggedly built as the D800.
-Poor Auto Focus capability compared to D800. HUGE problem. I'm taking a BIG step back coming from 51-point AF from my D300.
-Smaller RAW files for landscape work.

D800 PRO:
-Better Auto Focus. I do take pics of moving subjects. Often not dead center of the frame.
-Larger RAW files for Landscape work. (But, I might only print BIG, BIG-larger than 13x19"-perhaps 6 times a year).
-Higher dynamic range (I think) vs. D600?
-Higher build quality/weather sealing. (Last year I was under a waterfall in Iceland, so this is important for me.)
-Better low light capabilities than D600?
-If I can master it and improve my technique/discipline I would get a lot more mileage out of the D800.

D800 CONS:
-More expensive accessories. Extended warranty, wireless remote, etc.
-No U1/U2 settings. PITA to switch.

My heart wants a D800, but my head says D610.  Thoughts?

Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow