Post photos in a Forum taken inside a Art gallery ?

Started Oct 13, 2013 | Questions thread
Tom Axford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539
Like?
Re: Post photos in a Forum taken inside a Art gallery ?
In reply to MisterBG, Oct 13, 2013

MisterBG wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

Why not? Some public art galleries now allow photography (their attitude seems to have changed in the last few years) provided it does not disturb other visitors. Also, many National Trust houses also allow photography (often only in the last year or two - the Trust has changed its policy on photography).

I'm not a regular visitor to art galleries, but I know that Tate Britain, The National Gallery and the Royal Academy do not allow photography.

Why not?
So that they can sell you their own glossy prints from their gift shop.
(Plus they have the fixation that frequent exposure to flash [which most people would use] will degrade the quality of the artworks on display).

Quite why someone should want to visit an art gallery with the intention of photographing the exhibits is beyond me. You can obtain far better commercial reproductions of the exhibits than you can possibly take yourself.

I don't see what it has to do with art galleries, but both the NT and English Heritage impose similar constraints (no flash, no tripods) for the locations where they permit photography.

Some art galleries do allow photography. The Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery changed its policy a couple of years ago and they now allow photography (although I think that excludes flash and tripods, quite reasonably). Although I can't remember the others, it's not the only gallery I have visited that has recently changed its policy on photography.

The photos I have taken in BMAG have been more for the architecture of the building itself than of the exhibits. As you say, if you want high quality photos of the exhibits, it's better to buy prints from their shop. Nevertheless, many people do like to take photos in galleries, sometimes just as souvenirs and reminders of their visit.

I also mentioned the National Trust because many of their houses are effectively art galleries in that they contain many much-loved works of art. Quite recently the Trust has changed its policy to allow both still and movie photography indoors at many of their historic properties.

In all these cases there are usually a string of conditions including non-commercial use and some copyright issues. However, those conditions usually do not affect most amateur photographers taking photos for private use. One legally grey area is whether or not posting images on this website, or on Facebook, etc counts as 'private use'. From what I have read, it probably does come within 'private use' as long as there is no commercial benefit being gained.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow