The D800 or the E? What made you choose one over the other?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Emil Varadi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034Gear list
Like?
The D800 or the E? What made you choose one over the other?
10 months ago

I'm planning to leap into FX-land by next spring with the acquisition of a D800 or a D800E. I have read a lot but still have difficulties grasping the real world difference between the two.

From what I read on Thom Hogan's website, both are good upto f8, after that diffraction gradually erodes their superb IQ. http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-nikon-dslr-reviews/nikon-d800--d800e-review.html Thom says from f1.4 to f4 the D800E excels (portraits, wildlife sports etc), but for landscape shooters, f4-f8, the D800 is a better choice.

However I noticed there seem to be quite a few of you who use the D800E for landscape, which puzzles me. For example Lloyd Chambers regularly shoots his landscape testshots with various lenses on a D800E. (Mind you, he recently tested Zeiss's 4000 dollar 55/1.4 überlens on a D7100, which says something about that DX camera, but that would be another topic).

What were your motives when you bought your D800 or the E? What made you choose one over the other and did your experiences later confirm your initial suppositions? Or perhaps now you see the grass is greener at the other side of the fence?

Emil Varadi's gear list:Emil Varadi's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Ricoh GR Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
KajNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow