Can't edit or properly save HDR image from photoshop. Is there a better way to work this image?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
carl1864
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
Can't edit or properly save HDR image from photoshop. Is there a better way to work this image?
10 months ago

I spend a good amount of time trying to google this seemingly simple issue with no luck.

I took a raw image, processed it at normal, under, and over exposure, and then used photoshop's  automated HDR function to create an HDR image.  Problem is I cannot perform 90% of the editing functions anymore on it, it says they don't work on a 32 bit image.  I tried converting the image to 16 bit, but the color gets completely screwed up.  I don't understand why, 16 bit color is so broad I would think any difference would be almost distinguishable to the human eye, but no, for some reason the colors completely change.  I also cannot even save the image as png or jpeg either.  How can I simply edit/save this image like normal?

Also, the whole reason I'm doing this, is I have an image with a difficult exposure, both bright and dark parts.  All the detail is there in the raw file in both the bright parts and dark parts, however if i brighten up the darker parts to see all the detail, the sky turns white and lots of places in the image are blown out.  If I darken things up a bit so that the sky is beautiful blue, and sunny patches are not overexposed, then the rest is way too dark.  I just want to find a way to blend or combine the image so its all well exposed.  Not trying to make the image all surreal, simply want the darker spots well exposed, sky still blue, and brighter patches not blown out, but still look like a regular photo.  Is there a better way to do this?  Perhaps manually doing HDR, or some sort of layer blending?

I sort of experimented with layering a darker exposure underneath a lighter one, setting the eraser to 10%, and selectively thinning out the bright parts, so the dark parts can show through, and blend in although it doesn't seem like the best method out there.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow