Advice for Photographing Running Events?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MMACory
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?
Advice for Photographing Running Events?
9 months ago

I'm a budding runner, but our club is looking for a new photographer for their Winter Series which is every Sunday from December to February regardless of temperature or conditions.  The courses go from a 5K to a half marathon through an extremely hilly and scenic park and I offered if they can't find someone else.

Any and all tips would be GREAT.  My current set-up is a Canon T1i with a 17-55, 100 2.0 and 200 2.8.  I wouldn't be horribly opposed to getting one of the 70-200 4.0's particularly if that might be "better" match for a crop sensor than the 100-400 that's on the wish list.

The runners start, of course, in a group of 300+ and then thin out.  Does it make sense to maybe use the 17-55 initially (with the aperture at around 8 or so) at the start and then move over to the 100 catching each runner individually at 2.8 or so with a center-point focus?  Might the 200 2.8 potentially be better or would you say that I really need to get a 70-200 4.0 IS or the one without IS?

I'll be sticking with JPEG's.  When everything's white with snow should I probably knock out a custom white balance?  Any other nuances in the snow like maybe spot metering or anything like that?

Thanks in advance for any discussion.

MMACory's gear list:MMACory's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow