What does the Sony SLR community think of the Pentax K3? Locked

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,135Gear list
Re: Two drawbacks
In reply to Ronald A Yorko, 10 months ago

Ronald A Yorko wrote:

While I think the K-3, at it's price range, really ups the bar for technology and features, I don't like the fixed LCD. Secondly, I prefer using the viewfinder, and most OVF info displays are in those choppy little led like letters and symbols. One of the reasons I chose Sony was I could actually easily read all of the displayed info in the EVF. Perhaps Pentax's fixed LCD is there because you'd constantly be checking if to be able to read screen info. As far as live view is concerned, the Pentax is an improvement, but again, with my Sony I just leave it on and don't have to be turning a switch or pressing a button to go back and forth.

Anyway, I hope Sony takes a cue from the new features on the K-3 in developing a successor to the A77.

I have no intention of trying to claim Pentax is better than Sony (or vice versa) or that anyone should dump their system for this new Pentax but there is one point of clarification about the rear LCD. Pentax have introduced a custom FLUCARD (for $99) that acts as a remote live view and camera controller for the K-3. Since most DSLR users only use live view on a tripod, on paper it seems like a nifty feature that, when coupled with a smartphone or tablet, potentially eclipses the benefits of an articulated screen. No one has tested it, though.

No one has tested AF speed and accuracy with production firmware, either.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow