Getting NEX FF wouldn't improve my low light performance?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
holyfan
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Re: Getting NEX FF wouldn't improve my low light performance?
In reply to forpetessake, 10 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

dpyy wrote:

Am I missing something, looking at all the lens available for NEX FF it wouldn't even improve my low light performance from my NEX6/7? It's a FF but most of the lens available are F/4?

Yes you are missing the fundamentals. The equivalent lenses have the same aperture diameter. Let me put that in perspective:

FF lens -> APS-C equivalent

Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4.0 OSS -> 16-47mm f/2.7
Sony G 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 -> 18-47mm f/2.3-3.7
Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8 -> 23mm f/1.9
Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8 -> 37mm f/1.2
Zeiss FE 70-200mm f/4.0 OSS -> 47-133mm f/2.7

Now tell me where do you get those equivalent lenses for NEX cameras? Only those, who used focal reducers can somewhat enjoy faster lenses.

The original poster actually has a great point.  The sony A37 is pretty small (maybe slightly larger than the oly em-5)  and it can easily mount apsc 16-50 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 28-75 f2.8 lenses with ibis.   Therefore the a small Sony A37 can Achieve the same dof and lowlight performance as the FF nex (when using zooms).   if you don't need ibis, simply use a nex7 with  a-mount adapter and u can use  f2.8 zoom lenses as well.

So in my opinion there is absolutely no reason to buy a ff lens that is slower than f2.8 unless you are trying to save some money and size.  But if you are trying to save money and size you can get pretty much the same lowlight and dof performance with much cheaper apsc cameras.  People buy FF cameras to get better dof control and lowlight over apsc offerings.  Releasing slow zooms and primes to keep size down defeats the purpose of moving to FF.  You might as well spend on m43 with fast glass for small size and price.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow