Please Help. Is There Something Wrong with My New Camera?

Started Oct 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MartiMar
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Please Help. Is There Something Wrong with My New Camera?
Oct 11, 2013

Hello,

My name is Martin. I just bought my first non-super compact camera. I bought the Panasonic DMC-FZ200K from 42nd Street Photo since they had it at a nice price and the reviews on it were good. It just arrived and the first thing I noticed was that the box was not factory sealed. The box looked cosmetically perfect, but there was no tape of any kind of seal that would keep anyone from opening the box. (Everything that is supposed to be in the box is there.)

The camera inside was in a kind of Styrofoam bag, but the bag was not taped closed and I could just pull the camera out of the bag without undoing anything. The battery was also about 75% charged... I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

The big thing I have a question about is the lens. When I move the camera around, I can hear something in the lens shifting position. For instance, if I hold the camera right side up, and then turn it upside down, I can hear something shifting inside the lens compartment. Since this is my first camera with a lens like this, I am not sure if this is normal or not. Since the camera showed up looking like an open box item, I am naturally concerned. The lens is a little loud when zooming in and out and the motor sounds a little strained to me.  But I am not sure if this is just a normal sound as I have no idea what it is supposed to sound like. I can video the camera with the zooming sound if anyone wants to see it.

I guess those are my big concerns. Looks open box, something sounds loose in the lens compartment and the motor sounds a little strained to me when zooming - but I have no experience with a lens like this. Should I be worried? Is 42nd street Photo generally good about taking care of customers or am I looking at a fight if I want to exchange?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Martin

P.S. For anyone interested, I use my camera mostly to take still photos of merchandise for eBay. My compact was bad with accurate color representation and struggled mightily with lighting. My blacks would turn charcoal colored or they would be so dim you couldn't make out any details - it just looks like a dark blob. I needed to upgrade.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow