Professional equipment is not allowed in malls?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
joneil
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Re: Professional equipment is not allowed in malls?
In reply to Henry Falkner, 11 months ago

Been there, done that.

I had this same experience years ago with my 4x5 view camera.   To make a long story short, malls are private property (seriously), and what the security guard told me was the tripod attracted their attention.    It is NOT the camera, it is the tripod.

Now let me repeat this - it is NOT THE CAMERA - it is the TRIPOD.

Got it?

I shot plenty of times in the Eaton Centre with my DSLR Nikons over the years with no problem, and in the above instance in the other mall, I even went back with my 4x5 to that other mall and took some shots.   No problem.    Just act like a tourist.  Seriously.

If you want to use a tripod for the purpose of being steady, this is how you do it.

Go to a railing.  For example, in the middle of the Eaton Centre is that big fountian.  You go up a couple floors,  keep the camera strap around your neck, rest the camera on top of the railing, aim the direction you want to shoot while keeping both hands on your camera while resting on the railing.  Then just fire away and take as many photos as you want.

Seriously, it works.   If i can do it it with my 4x5 film camera, and if I can do it with my Nikon, yeah, you can likely do it with your Canon.  

Most of these malls have bench seats right?  Sit down on the bench seat, set your camera beside you, photograph all you like.

Now, that wasn't hard, was it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow