On-sensor PDAF, will it be as good as mirrored cameras?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,777Gear list
Like?
Re: On-sensor PDAF, will it be as good as mirrored cameras?
In reply to havoc315, 10 months ago

havoc315 wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

So I really am forced to wonder..... it is all speculation for now.. but if Sony does indeed start building mirrorless A-mounts.... Then will future A-mounts be a backwards step in autofocus, just like the dSLT was a backward step in high-ISO performance.

The A99 is much better at high ISO than the A900 was - what step back do you mean sorry?

The A900 was quite dated. The A99 falls behind current competitor fullframe dSLRs in high ISO. All of the APS-C dSLTs are behind the A580 in high ISO. It is undeniable that the translucent mirror design -- while carrying some benefits -- impairs high ISO.

The A900 was out with the previous generation of FF cameras and was worse than them at higher ISO, the A99 is better but still rates worse than the new current ones... I'd still call that a step forward!

I think part of the reason for this is not just the mirror, I think that they used different part of the sensors range to Nikon that leaves space on the highlights and shadows, Nikon generally clip highlights much sooner than Sony in my experience.

As for the APS-C models, others with more knowledge of them have explained that already.

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OuchNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow