On-sensor PDAF, will it be as good as mirrored cameras?

Started Oct 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
Re: On-sensor PDAF, will it be as good as mirrored cameras?
In reply to havoc315, Oct 11, 2013

havoc315 wrote:

So I really am forced to wonder..... it is all speculation for now.. but if Sony does indeed start building mirrorless A-mounts.... Then will future A-mounts be a backwards step in autofocus, just like the dSLT was a backward step in high-ISO performance.

Would slower but more accurate be a step backwards?

I'm no expert, but from the little bits I've read I think that's a realistic expectation. But how much slower and in what conditions remains to be seen.

And, in regards to the differences between E mount and A mount, playing with my new Nex6 I noticed the aperture stops down when focusing. In A mode, adjusting the aperture I see it open and close looking down into the lens. A mounts always focus wide open and automatically stops down to open the shutter.

I don't quite understand why the E mount would be designed this way, there is likely some advantage to shooting video this way. The A mount would get more light, but have a shallower DOF, but with more light is likely faster even if all other things were equal.

cplunk's gear list:cplunk's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OuchNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow