Getting NEX FF wouldn't improve my low light performance?

Started Oct 11, 2013 | Questions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting NEX FF wouldn't improve my low light performance?
In reply to dpyy, Oct 11, 2013

dpyy wrote:

Am I missing something, looking at all the lens available for NEX FF it wouldn't even improve my low light performance from my NEX6/7? It's a FF but most of the lens available are F/4?

Let us pick one lens for each format:

APS-c: Sony Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 OSS

FF: Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4 OSS (rumored)

Both are f/4, both have OSS, and one has the benefits of FF the other has benefit of longer optical reach, and of course the cost. Weigh-in your priorities and that should help you decide. But to answer your question, the FF would help improve low light performance.

Now if your argument is missing f/2.8 zoom, then yes, Sony is obviously sticking to its guns keeping E-mount options small and nimble, hence the obvious choices.

Then, there are primes. Assuming rumors to be true, and what we know of APS-c options:

APS-c: 12/2.8, 16/2.8, 20/2.8, 24/1.8, 32/1.8, 35/1.8 OSS, 50/1.8 OSS

FF: 35/2.8, 55/1.8 OSS, 85/1.8 OSS

The FF trio above is obviously a logical choice of FL. The only "strange" one is 35/2.8, but that is, again, to offer an option that is compact walk around lens instead of every lens being larger, not quite a pancake like 20/2.8 for APS-c but similar FoV (and comparable to 24/1.8 on APS-c in terms of FoV and DoF).

The 55/1.8 is an intriguing lens to me (especially as a shared lens between APS-c and FF), and of course, the 85mm which we've wanted to see for APS-c.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow