How much gear do you really need to run a photo business today? Really?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
instamatic
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,558
Like?
Re: How much gear do you really need to run a photo business today? Really?
In reply to Kirk Tuck, 9 months ago

Hello.  All valid points.  Indeed the barrier of entry has been lowered when it comes to equipment prices.

I think what will sell is ability to deliver fully processed and retouched images as fast as the person doing a shoot-and-burn thing.  Any camera and lens will do (as long as it doesn't distort the look uncomfortably, i.e. too much wide angle, etc.), although bokeh portraits from primes seem to have a better appeal.

Also, I think the unnatural looks (flat, odd color, fake-vintage, etc.) obtained with some automated plugins and actions are getting kind of old and well lit (note I don't mean overly bright), more natural - albeit warm toned images have most appeal.

Depending what you do, as you point out, some sense of fashion and posing technique is very good to have, even though the camera may only be entry level.  Being equipped with that, all one may need is a Nikon D3100 (or an equivalent Canon, or another brand), a 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 lens on it, an entry level MacBook pro, and a single flashgun on a tripod off-camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow