Who will buy the Sony A7/A7r?

Started Oct 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,848Gear list
Like?
My want and need sides of the brain ;-)
In reply to spacemn, Oct 11, 2013

spacemn wrote:

Provided that the following rumoured specs turn out correct, will you buy the Sony A7 or A7r?

o 24Mpix / 36Mpix (both are newly developed full frame sensors with specially designed micro lens array - like the Leica M)

o OSPDAF / - (no AA filter)

o Price around $1600 / $2300

o No IBIS

o AF is faster than the RX series, but still not as fast as the best in the mirrorless world

o Both have focus peaking (of course)

o Eye tracking AF

o They are about same size as the Olympus OMD series

o There is an optional vertical grip

o They have Wifi and NFC

o No Tri Navi, they had scroll wheels in front and back (which were very much like nex-7′s) and an exposure comp wheel from RX1 - according to a source

o One source: "the body quality is very good and the camera had a Pentax LX feeling"

o 1/8000 shutter speed

o Weather sealed

O Tiltable screens

o Comes with four lenses at launch (and a roadmap):

Sony G FE 28-75mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS(?) (kit lens - $2000 including the A7)

Sony Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4 OSS

Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8 (weather sealed)

Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8

...I would buy!

I'm in two minds of this with FF. I want it, but can't see me actually NEEDING it !!

I get to see images from FF shooters I stand next to for bird shooting and to be honest, completely honest with myself, I'm not missing out on a lot. I know the benefits of it, but again the main benefits of it are more to do with who is actually behind it and what's in front of the sensor (lenses).

So I'm torn with this one and the choice. My sensible part of my tiny brain says I am better off to get another NEX-7 and a Nikkor AI 400mm F/3.5 ED. To me that makes far more sense for what I want.

Out of that list you have there, only one thing really hits me that I do need and not just want for the sake of it and that's 1/8000.

All the best and the more I think about it, the more the sensible side kicks in

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WANew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow