Professional equipment is not allowed in malls?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
Re: Professional equipment is not allowed in malls?
In reply to LeoGotCamera, 11 months ago

LeoGotCamera wrote:

Guys,

First, I agree with all of you that full size tripod should not be allowed in malls as it creates a hazard for pedestrians. I also agree that the special lighting/models/elephants should not be allowed on the same grounds. Thanks for your responses that clarified this point.
Second, my main point is that I don't agree that DSLR (without any attachments) is not allowed while smartphone is allowed. In my opinion the modern smartphones provide quality similar to DSLR's and there should not be much difference in the eyes of security.

Lines, when drawn, must be drawn somewhere.

Third, if I use DSLR - it does not automatically mean that I use it for commercial purpose.
I guess this assumption came from the past when DSLRs were very expensive and only professional photographers could afford it. But it is not true anymore.

True enough, but, again, the line must be drawn somewhere. Technology does out-pace legislation. Moreover, "professional" equipment is an indication of commercial intentions. This is why prior, written permission is required. The mall owner has a commercial interest in videos produced on mall property. Anything posted on-line could, potentially, make money for someone, at some point in time.

Fourth, I don't blindly agree with rules that do not make sense. 100 years ago stores had signs that people of certain race are not allowed inside.

Well, photographers and videographers, unlike people grouped by race, ethnicity, and such, are not a protected class.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow