Professional equipment is not allowed in malls?

Started Oct 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,797Gear list
Like?
Re: Exactly
In reply to LeoGotCamera, Oct 11, 2013

LeoGotCamera wrote:

Guys,

sorry, but I don't agree with your logic. Property owner can impose any rules, but they need to make sense. We cannot just blindly accept whatever somebody with authority says to us.

House rules are not required to make sense, but it is likely they can quote reasons that do make sense, such as liability concerns (tripods can be a tripping hazard) and commercial property rights. (If the photography or videographer generates any money, whatsoever, for anyone, the owner of the property where the images are shot has a commercial interest.)

For example, if the owner of the mall puts a sign that people of certain race are not allowed inside the property - would you say "Hey, this is private property and owner has a right to do whatever they want"? Actually, malls had such signs 100 years ago.

Photographers and videographers, unlike racial/ethnic groups, are not a "protected" class of people!

On the other hand there should be rules that make sense like regarding appearance (you cannot walkin naked) or carrying a weapon.
In my opinion common sense does not work in this case - why DSLR is prohibited and smartphone is allowed? I seen plenty of people snapping their pictures and making videos with smartphones inside the mall and security was ok with them.

Once again, the house makes the rules.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow