Tripod tripping. Myth or Fact? Your experience?

Started Oct 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FrankieJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,399Gear list
Like?
Tripod tripping. Myth or Fact? Your experience?
Oct 11, 2013

This is often stated as the "likely" reason that tripods are prohibited by security guards on private or public / municipal property.
In reality, how often does this actually happen? It goes without saying that tripod use is de rigeur for nighttime shooting when visibility along walkways is low.
In use I typically stand over (at least) one leg of my 3221 tripod to get close enough to make adjustments and fire the shutter. Someone would have to completely ignore that a full grown adult is standing there and physically push me out of the way before they are able to get close enough to my tripod to trip. In 36 years of shooting this has NEVER happened. I therefore discount the assertion that tripping is a such big problem that a general ban of tripod use is required for this sole reason.
In my experience, claiming that a tripod is a tripping hazard is as valid as claiming it to be a lightning hazard - not very.
What is your experience?
How valid do you find the "tripping" reasoning?

Thank you

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
oopsNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow