Started Oct 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,622Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong Replacement
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Oct 11, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

On the Canon rumors site there is a mention of sigma announcing a mirror less system. That makes a lot more sense than a new sensor. It would be a small step to replace the DPX with a mirror-less camera system.

The DP cameras are already mirrorless.

So why would a mirrorless camera "replace them"?

Instead it seems way more likely to me that a mirrorless system would potentially replace the system with... a mirror.

So basically an SD-1 with live view, and possibly not a mirror. But with the SA mount.

Sigma already has some good mirrorless lenses in the DPxM series.  They could do a proprietary mount for them, then sell an electronic SA mount adapter as well.

This way, they would be the first manufacturer to support leaf-shutter lenses as well as ordinary lenses.

On second thought, maybe not.  Changing lenses is a dirty dusty job, and so is a focal plane shutter.  The Merrill sensor sees all.  DPxM is a way to avoid hassles such as this because there is no dust possible anywhere near the sensor.

If I were in the field I would want a body for each lens.  Perhaps expanding DPxM ordering options further into the Sigma lens line would be the best way to go:  Order it with 85mm F1.4, or 18-250 zoom, and it arrives with this lens fixed in place with a leaf shutter: non-interchangeable and non dusty, fully calibrated to the lens.  Big strengths and addressing niche markets at the same time.

Oh yes, and with a DSLR-sized battery same as in SD1/SD15/SD14 (hide it in a grip-type bulge).

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow